Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Homeschooling our Children in Today's World




I was recently reading a friends blog and this was what she was commenting about. I love it so much I decided to post it and share it with the my blog friends. If you would like to leave comments please do so, you can visit the author of this comment at http://www.guardingthehome.blogspot.com/.........

As a veteran homeschooler, I have observed a couple of things that might help prevent rebellion in the future. One is, that is better to make your children kind and loving and honoring, than to be too absorbed in making them smart. Although I had a wonderful experience with my family, I can still look back and see where I was too concerned about knowledge, because of the pressure of the world around me, a world that was looking at homeschooling with suspicion. If I had to do it over again, I would have delt more with behaviour, manners, wisdom, personality, character, and work.
Secondly, after all that I did, I look back and think it would have been better to have lived a normal life, with all the things it involves, and let the children learn about real life while living it, not just read about it in other people's books. I believe that many lessons could be taught while life happens. It seems better, now that I think of it, to deliver a lesson on doing a good job, at the time that the job is being done, pointing out various aspects of it, and telling how it is going to affect their future, or relating a story of someone who failed in life because they were not diligent (or honoring, or alert, etc.)
Also, I would be especially careful to teach the children to avoid criticism and self righteousness. It is easy for young people these days, to be critical. I see it more and more, as the world teaches them what to like and what to dislike, at an earlier and earlier age. Soon they are prejudiced against many things, from foods to fabrics, and they become hard to live with. I am not sure it happens to all families, but in some families, the children get so filled with knowledge without the wisdom to know how to use it, and they apply it in a critical way instead of a constructive way.
On any day, pretend that you may never see your child again and give him a lesson that will stick in his mind. On any ordinary day, leave him with a life lesson that, if something should happen and you become separated, he can use all of his life and survive spiritually and emotionally and physically. I am not saying math and science are not necessary, but it is wise to use these subjects as stepping stones to really important lessons about life and godliness.

5 comments:

Heather said...

i agree 100%! very nice post. my goal is to homeschool using these guidelines as well. Happy Tuesday to you!

Anonymous said...

I so much agree with you. My goal in homeschooling my children is to always put Jesus first~praying together~studying scripture~and always teaching them the golden rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you~Thank you for the great post. God bless, Rose

Kathi said...

This is so good DeNiece. Thank you for posting it. I am no longer homeschooling, but heard from my tenth grade son's teacher today.
She said I should not feel badly that he is a little behind in reading, because he is the nicest, kindest and most responsible boy in the class. She actually said the other kids in the class look to him for leadership. He was homeschooled from the beginning until 9th grade. I thank the Lord for her kind words to me. Kathi

laurie said...

I just stumbled on you from Ace's blog and I will ponder your post today. My children have been in a classical chrisitan trained school, when we brought 4 of them home this year we stay focused on Christ but I still feel thepressure to keep their academics at the level they were at.... While I desire high academeic performance, it is NOTHING in comparison to them walking in the truth as adults. NEaring th end of te year and rahter than just assessing academic performance, I will be pondering heart issues. Thanks, I really liked giving them something to hang on to if I were gone tomorrow.

MOMSWEB said...

I agree! Character Training is definitely a part of our homeschooling along with learning to walk in Christ's example.

Guest Book

Fall

Daylight Savings

Homemaking for Christ

Hello and welcome to Organized Homemaking for Christ...... So just sit yourself down and have a cup of tea and some cookies and lets talk about the goodness of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ., lets talk about the goodness of God and how he has brought us this far and how we as believers in Christ will continue to follow his words pertaining to being homemakers, helpmeets to our husbands, and mothers to our children.

Who's visiting the Barnes Homestead.....

Who's Visiting


Spring 2012


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones